IDEAL FOR: Retail professionals or pawnbroking junior sales staff involved in buying or selling loose coloured gemstones or set jewellery.
This one-day interactive coloured gemstone training course takes an in-depth look at some of the most important coloured stones used in jewellery, including sapphires, rubies, emeralds and tanzanite. Delegates will gain a good commercial understanding of these stones and the key selling points for each one. A practical session looking at gemstones will give participants greater confidence in identifying coloured stones and their imitations. This course is an excellent refresher for those with some experience, or a good starting point for delegates who are new to assessing or selling coloured gemstones. The course provides 6 hours of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) activity
REGISTRATION: 9.30 am
Refreshments are available throughout the day; a sandwich lunch is included in the course price.
• A brief look at how gemstones form in the earth
Mining & sources
• Where gemstones are found and how they are mined
• A practical look at some natural crystals and the key features that help us identify them
Practical session on precious and semi-precious stones
• Delegates will examine some of the most popular gemstones used in jewellery and will learn about the individual properties that help in their identification, before comparing these stones with imitations
Synthetics & treatments
• A discussion of potential treatments that could have been carried out on gemstones and possible synthetics
• What coloured stones are likely to be certificated and why
Care of gemstones
• How to care for gemstones and how to advise consumers to look after their gemstones