IDEAL FOR: Retail sales professionals and pawnbrokers who need to understand their requirements under hallmarking legislation. Ideal as induction for new starters to the trade.
This course is ideal for those working in the jewellery or precious metal trades, collectors, and members of the public, who would like to learn more about Hallmarking, including the history of Hallmarking in the UK and current legislation. This course provides a unique opportunity to go behind the scenes and visit the Hallmarking Floor at Assay Office Birmingham, which is not usually open to the public. You will see how Hallmarks are applied to precious metal items and jewellery by traditional and modern methods. The course provides three hours of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) activity.
REGISTRATION: 9.30 am
Refreshments are available throughout the day.
Delegates will receive a guided tour of the Hallmarking floor of the Assay Office Birmingham.
The course will also cover:
- The history of Hallmarking in the UK
- An overview of the Hallmarking Act and current legislation
- Understanding the Hallmark
- Testing Methods used in the Hallmarking process – XRF, cupellation and titration
- Methods used to apply Hallmarks: Hand, Press and Laser Hallmarking
- Tooling and Hallmarking Punches
- Other Hallmarks recognised in the UK – Convention Hallmarks
- Mixed Metal Hallmarking