IDEAL FOR: Senior retail professionals or experienced pawnbrokers involved in buying or selling loose coloured gemstones or set jewellery.
This is a hands-on course designed for those who already have knowledge of Coloured Gemstones and will reveal the inside story about gemstone treatments. Under the expert tuition of Gwyn Green, delegates will study a range of sample stones and learn some important lessons about detecting treatments and recognising the tell-tale signs that a stone is not entirely natural and untreated. Provides 6 hours of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Activity.
REGISTRATION: 9.30 am
Refreshments are available throughout the day; a sandwich lunch is included in the course price.
Why are Gemstones Treated?
Types of treatment and the gems suitable
- Surface treatments
- Surface and Sub-surface treatments
- Treatments throughout
- Which gems on the market are commonly subject to treatments?
Detection of treatments
- Appearance before and after treatments
- Signs that a gem has been treated – what to look for
- Simple tests to determine whether or not a gem has been treated
Reliability of treatments the down-side of treatments
Disclosure of treatments, CIBJO regulations
- Examination of treated gems to compare appearance by eye and using magnification with untreated gems
- Discussion of sophisticated techniques necessary for to detect some treatments.