22nd March 2022
IDEAL FOR: Senior or experienced retail and pawnbroking professionals involved in the buying, selling or authenticating of luxury watches and timepieces.
This one-day course is a combination of factual presentation and practical examination of watches. It is intended for those involved in either buying, authenticating or valuing watches whether as a business or for private interest. The course provides a detailed insight into fake high-end Swiss branded watches such as Rolex and Omega amongst others and how to identify them. It is based on current market information and includes the latest innovations in fake watch production. The course also covers watches formed from a combination of parts – known as ‘Franken-watches’, and watches that have been modified after sale.
It provides 6 hours of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) activity.
REGISTRATION: 9.30 am
Refreshments are available throughout the day; a sandwich lunch is included in the course price.
FAKES AND FORGERIES
- The current state of the faking industry
- The importance of experience – and how to obtain it
- Working your way around the outside of a watch
- What lies inside – the importance of understanding movements used in fakes
- Movement modifications – fakes on display
- Real-world examples – identifications in the wild.
- What is a franken-watch?
- Different levels of deception
- How franken watches are viewed in the collector’s market
- Differing levels of customization and how to spot them
- Describing custom watches for resale